DEVELOPING STORYDEVELOPING STORY,
Two of the men killed in the old city of Nablus are thought to be responsible for an April 7 shooting north of Jericho that killed three Israeli settlers, the military says.
Ramallah, occupied West Bank – The Israeli army killed at least three Palestinians during a raid in the northern city of Nablus and wounded four others while firing live fire.
The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed on Thursday that three Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces.
“The faces of two of the martyrs are completely disfigured from the heavy fire they were hit with, making it difficult to identify them,” the ministry said.
The Israeli army and intelligence agency said in a statement that two of the killed men were behind a shooting on April 7 north of Jericho that killed two of the settlers’ sisters when gunmen opened fire on their vehicle. Their mother later died of her injuries.
In the old city of Nablus, the Palestinian Red Crescent said four people were taken to hospital during the Israeli raid and at least 150 people inhaled tear gas, including schoolchildren.
Political factions in Nablus announced a general strike in the city on Thursday in response to the attack.
So far in 2023, at least 110 Palestinians have been killed by the Israeli army and settlers, including 20 children.
The figure also includes 44-year-old Palestinian prisoner Sheikh Khader Adnan, who died on Tuesday during the 87th day of a hunger strike against his repeated arbitrary detention.
The death of Adnan, who was arrested on March 5 and awaiting military trial, sparked widespread anger and protests in the occupied West Bank and sparked rocket attacks against Israel by armed resistance groups in the besieged Gaza Strip.
On Tuesday night, a 58-year-old Palestinian man, Hashel Mubarak, was killed in Israeli airstrikes on the Gaza Strip, and five others were injured.