Francisco Oropesa, 38, is suspected of shooting five neighbors between the ages of eight and 31.
A man accused of killing five neighbors after they asked him to stop firing his shotgun in his yard has been taken into custody following a manhunt last week, Texas police said.
Francisco Oropesa, the suspected attacker, had eluded authorities since Friday’s mass shooting in the small southeastern Texas town of Cleveland.
“We now have this man in custody,” San Jacinto County Sheriff Greg Capers told reporters at a news conference Tuesday night.
“He was caught hiding in a closet under some laundry.”
The 38-year-old Mexican is said to have fired at his neighbors after they asked him to stop firing his semi-automatic rifle because the sound kept a baby awake.
The victims were between the ages of eight and 31, while several other residents were in critical condition with multiple gunshot wounds.
Authorities deployed hundreds of law enforcement officers to search for the suspect and offered an $80,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.
FBI Special Agent Jimmy Paul told reporters a call to the bureau’s tip line eventually led law enforcement to Oropesa, who was arrested north of Houston at about 6:45 p.m. (23:45 GMT) on Tuesday.
“I just want to thank the person who had the courage and courage to call the suspect’s location,” he said.
The incident took place on the night of April 28 when the suspect burst into his neighbour’s house and opened fire, killing five of the ten people inside, including an eight-year-old boy.
Most of the victims were shot in the head. They were all from Honduras and lived there, but not all were relatives, police said.
The victims were identified as Sonia Argentina Guzman, 25; Diana Velázquez Alvarado, 21; Julia Molina Rivera, 31; Jose Jonathan Casarez, 18; and Daniel Enrique Laso, 8.